Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ok, I am amused

Because, probably, I would do this. Or would if I had the appropriate car and motorcycle. Which I don't and that's probably a good thing. But, yes, naming the new mini-cooper Larry after Laurence Olivier to go with the motorycle which is named Vivien appeals to my warped sense of humor. And it's the color of car I would likely get. Green. And I like Larry and Viv's picture.

Sadly, my Saturn never found a name since I wasn't around people who would've encouraged me to do so. And it didn't occur to me. But, considering the elaborate names my cats wound up with, I think we can call it a draw. And naming my coffee pots would just be naming for no good reason. Which I do not believe in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since our alarm system announces when any of the doors are opened, and it seemed useful to have something to call it other than "the alarm system", we named it "Holly", after the usually-well-intentioned computer system on Red Dwarf.

This leads to conversations such as "Have you disarmed Holly yet?" or "Is Holly on?"

babs said...

See, that makes sense. Which fits in my belief system regarding names: they must have a purpose, perhaps aesthetic and not done just because.

Still never got into RD as much as others of the tribe did.

And there are names that stuck for restaurants in particular. Wildflower Bakery, which has good sandwixhes and cupcakes, got called Wildbread, so it's stuck. And Chipotle, the fast food Mexican rest. that may have made it east by this point, is Chi-poodle. This is because in a Jack in the Box ad Jack is mispronouncing Chipotle and comes up with Chi-poodle. Less cool, alas when you have to explain it.
And, yes far too easily amused.

babs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.