Monday, March 30, 2009

Designing Women on DVD.

And yeah, this falls into the kinda care dept. I loved DW at the time, but thanks to multiple, multiple viewings on Lifetime, I probably don't need to own it. Because, I know it way too well.

And yes, in the which Designing Woman are you quiz, I am mainly Mary Jo, and in Golden Girls, I am most likely Dorothy. I already did those quizzes in the '90s, thank you very much.

I've never understood buying some shows on dvd. Like Everybody Loves Raymond, or others that are always, always on. Also, like Punky Brewster or other remnants from the '80s that aren't going to age terribly well. Yes, I watched a lot of Blossom, which is now out on dvd, but that doesn't mean I terribly need to re-watch it either. And also, tv. dvds are just slightly too expensive to buy all of them.

I recently bought Voyagers on dvd, with a gift cert. Of course, Retro Television Network, which is the local equivalent of Channel 69, or a lamer version of Tv Land, is rerunning it. They are also rerunning Buck Rogers, Simon and Simon and the original Battlestar Galactica. Those are the good shows they're running. So far, am enjoying re-watching some of them, though I saw a Buck Rogers that was just strange.

And in the category of things you can't make up, here's this tidbit from imdb.

(About Simon and Simon) The show was filmed in San Diego. During the run of the show, CBS tried to get the locale of the show switched because they felt San Diego wasn't "sexy" enough. The effort failed.

And this is how the '80s were different from say now or the '90s, because likely most everybody would want to have things set in CA now. And, also, this is CBS, the channel that brought us Murder, She Wrote, so being like Miami Vice wasn't part of their mission statement.

The other thing that strikes me in re-watching shows from that time and I guess now too is how much longer the shows ran than they should've. Facts of Life should've at least ended when they graduated high school, and most shows start to lose it after say 4 years. Simon and Simon lasted for 8 years; I stopped watching somewhere around 1987, which isn't that surprising. And it ages okayish.

No comments: