Tuesday, November 25, 2008

100 Movies am embarrassed to say I haven't seen.

From Whitney M's Pop. Cult Blog...

http://blogs.usatoday.com/popcandy/2008/11/talk-back-what.html#more

Sean C came up with this list,100 Movies I’m Embarrassed To Admit I Haven’t Seen Yet, and I had to check which ones I had seen. I of course probably have my own list of shameful cinema. (Of ones I haven't seen and which ones I have seen in the theater.) But yes, am pretty impressed that I've seen a good chunk of 'em. In the theater, no less.

So, italics equals video, bold equals theater, and paranthesis equals saw it on tv. Also, a lot of these came out when I was seeing a lot of movies.


1. 12 Angry Men
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. 4 Little Girls
4. The Accidental Tourist
5. An Affair to Remember
6. The Age of Innocence
7. Alien
8. All The President’s Men
9. American Graffiti
10. Angels in America
11. The Apartment
12. Apocalypse Now*
13. Babe
14. Back To The Future III
15. The Battle of Algiers
16. A Beautiful Mind (airplane)
17. Ben-Hur
18. The Big Chill (tv)
19. Blazing Saddles (tv)
20. Bonnie and Clyde
21. Born on the Fourth of July
22. Brazil
23. Citizen Kane
24. A Clockwork Orange
25. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
26. The Crying Game
27. Dances with Wolves
28. The Deer Hunter
29. Doctor Zhivago
30. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
31. Ed Wood
32. Fargo
33. Field of Dreams
34. A Fistful of Dollars
35. The Five Heartbeats
36. Fletch
37. Four Weddings and a Funeral
38. The French Connection
39. Funny Girl
40. The Godfather Part III
41. Gone With The Wind
42. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
43. The Grapes of Wrath
44. The Green Mile**
45. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
46. Hamlet (1948)
47. Hannah and Her Sisters
48. Harold and Maude
49. An Inconvenient Truth
50. It’s A Wonderful Life
51. JFK
52. The King of Comedy
53. King of New York
54. L.A. Story
55. The Last of the Mohicans
56. The Last Temptation of Christ
57. Lawrence of Arabia
58. Life Is Beautiful
59. The Maltese Falcon
60. The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
61. Manhattan
62. Marathon Man
63. MASH
64. Midnight Cowboy
65. Mississippi Burning
66. Moonstruck
67. Moulin Rouge!*
68. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
69. My Left Foot
70. Network
71. The Neverending Story (tv)
72. The Nightmare Before Christmas
73. North by Northwest
74. Once Upon A Time In The West
75. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
76. Ordinary People
77. Rashomon
78. A Raisin in the Sun (1961)
79. Rear Window
80. Rebel Without a Cause
81. Saving Private Ryan**
82. Scent of a Woman
83. Schindler’s List
84. Sense and Sensibility
85. The Seven Samurai
86. Sid & Nancy
87. Singin’ in the Rain
88. Slacker
89. Some Like It Hot
90. The Sound of Music (tv)
91. The Sting (tv)
92. A Streetcar Named Desire
93. Taxi Driver
94. Terms of Endearment
95. The Thin Red Line
96. Tootsie
97. Waking Life
98. The Way We Were
99. West Side Story
100. Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?

So, according to my calculations, have seen about 46 of them. (15 in the theater, 24 on video and 5 on tv and 1 on airplane) Not bad.

(Based on his list, these are the ones I feel I should watch. Many are ones that haven't seen yet because of their sadness or intensity. Dr. Zhivago is one of them and I'm still traumatized by the Masterpiece Theater version of it. And it's Russian. And Nightmare and Fields are biggies.)

An Affair to Remember
Angels in America (I did see the stage play.)
The Apartment
Doctor Zhivago
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Field of Dreams
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Rebel Without a Cause
Slacker
Taxi Driver
Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?

On my own personal list, the ones I am chastened I haven't seen are
My Dinner with Andre
Purple Rose of Cairo
Scotland, PA
Zelig

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did see MASH, btw. Years ago, when you and one of your friends was being watched by me during the hours up until a Thanksgiving dinner.

babs said...

Figured I must have. All the way through at least once. If you calculate all the bits I must have seen hither and thither.