Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Overburdened by books....

---Will begin this post with a quote that captures nicely the problem at hand.

There are far too many people born into the world, and far too many words written. Millions and millions of them pouring from the presses. It’s a horrible thought-The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey.

There are just too many to read and sometimes they are just a bit too similar. For example, medievally mystery books like

--The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
--A Stolen Tongue by Sheri Holman
--Ex Libris by Ross King. (Okay, technically 1660s)
--The Canterbury Papers by Judith Koll Healey

and other intense thought books like
--Baudolino by Umberto Eco
--The Unburied by Charles Pallister.

Am currently reading Baudolino, A Stolen Tongue and The Unburied among other lighter ones. And I think the main problem is that I read Eco before I read any other medieval mysteries and he's hard to top. And he also needs to be spaced out too. Which is why the last one of his I read was Foucault's in the '90s. And yes, my sister, I remember you not being as wowed by Baudolino as others of his, but as it's in the apt, and it's got to be better than A Thirteenth Night by Alan Gordon, I figured I'd try it out. But what this means is will not be in the mood for Ex Libris (which also contains a labyrinth and a mystery) or The Canterbury Papers which is set around the time of Eleanor of Acquitaine. And at what point do I admit defeat, that I'm never going to read the King book? Which has potential but may not deliver.

Well, at the very least, it's not going to be read right now. And we'll re-evaluate the situation later. And yes, should probably re-read Name of the Rose since it's been long enough, and I probably would get different stuff now. But maybe not for awhile.

Yes, overthinking reading again.

No comments: