Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Books that I'm still reading as of Oct. 2009

I had started some of them in May 2009 and I'm still reading them in October 2009. To be fair, the ones I haven't finished aren't light and take a while.

The ones I finished
--There's No Place Like Here by Cecilia Ahern
--Statements by Amy Borowsky
--Stiff by Mary Roach.

The Borowsky one was better in theory than delivery. Was amusing, but liked the first one better. The Ahern one is good in the set-up, but the follow-through is so-so. And Stiff is good, but way intense and well, grody.

I also finally finished Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly, which I think I started in 2007 or so. It's okay, but it has the same problems that all pop. cult essay books do. Some essays are really on, some are okay and some are one step away from rough drafts. As this is the third one I've read, I am pretty aware of this tendency. I think the ones that occasionally work better are ones that are a collection of essays on different books, movies and shows as opposed to a book of essays on one subject.

The ones that are still lingering.
--Baudolino by Umberto Eco
--Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H.Lawrence


I have read other ones, but am not sure I fell like listing them right now. They are certainly a motley crew of chick lit, cruddy medieval mysteries, good, intense mysteries and feminist fantasy.

3 comments:

rj said...

Baudolino... Oh, good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that one a challenge. I think you just have to be in the right mood, sometimes.

babs said...

Definitely not just you.

Eco I love, but he requires a level of commitment and intensity that I don't always have.

Byatt is much the same way. She has a new one out. The last one of hers I read was Still Life.

babs said...

And Lawrence the maleness occasionally bothers me.

I think I prefer Woolf and Joyce as far as the s.o.c. people go.