Saturday, May 16, 2009

The books that I'm 3/4 through...

And yes, I am aware that the 'way' I read books is not necessarily 'normal.' It's sort of one of those things that somehow happened and has become one of my 'things/quirks.'

--The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde
--Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevera
--A Stolen Tongue by Sheri Holman
--Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin
--San Francisco Short Stories. Ed. John Miller
--The Unburied by Charles Pallister
--Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling.

And no, these aren't all the books I'm reading as they would also include:
--There's No Place Like Here by Cecilia Ahern
--Statements by Amy Borowsky
--Baudolino by Umberto Eco
--Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H.Lawrence
--Stiff by Mary Roach.

So, it's kind of a reading slump, where I'm almost, but not quite, done with a bunch of them. Those of you who have been checking out the blog for abit will remember that I've been reading Eco, Pallister and Rowling for about a year. They are both intense enough for that to be true. I only have 6 more chapters left on Rowling, but as they are sad chapters, am having difficulty making myself finish them.

Am almost done with Guevera, Fforde and the San Francisco collection. Am running out of humorous essay people, like Sarah Vowell, Laurie Notaro and others. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

babs said...

And I can personally say that you shouldn't read Stiff unless you have a very strong stomach and cope with some very gross bits.

Have been reading it while I'm out and about. Usually and perhaps illadvisedly at dinner.

cheryl said...

As long as you're aware that it isn't normal. ;)

I think my husband read that Pallister book a while back, but I don't recall if he enjoyed it.

Generally, if I find myself taking that long to finish a book, I take it as a sign that I must subconsciously hate it, and stop reading.

babs said...

The problem with that is that sometimes they get good later on. No good examples spring to mind.

I did finish How to be a Canadian by Ian and Will Ferguson. I wanted it to be better. And I know a good chunk about Canada; I'm watched a lot of Kids in the Hall and have been there.